These “mean greens” are a soul food lovers dream! With hot and cajun spices paired with your choice of turkey parts, these greens are the perfect addition to a catfish and mac n cheese dinner to feed the soul. Total cook time: 2 hours
4 16oz bags mustard greens (we used Glory Foods Brand)
3 pieces smoked turkey meat (we used tails, but bones, necks, etc. will also taste yummy!)
1 large white onion
6 gloves fresh garlic
2 containers free range chicken broth (or veggie depending on preference)
Crushed red pepper
- Seasoning salt 3tbs (or to taste)
- Creole seasoning 3tbs ( or to taste?
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil in a large stock pot and place your turkey tails in the pot whole
- Chop your onion and throw in pot followed by your garlic cloves (keep these whole)
- Add all 3 bags of greens to your pot (rinse if needed- ours came pre-washed)
- Cover your mixture with the chicken broth until greens are fully coated and add about 5-7 cups of water (water is optional -to dilute the saltiness of the broth)
- Place pot on the stove and turn the heat to high and stir
- After greens have had a chance to soak for 15-20 mins, add in about a spoonful of black pepper, seasoning salt and creole seasoning(to taste) and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir the seasonings into the mixture.
- Cover your mixture, lower the heat to medium high heat let cook for 2 hours (about halfway through, remove the turkey tails and pull your meat off the bone. Return the meat to the pot and stir. Re-cover and let cook.
- Once your greens have wilted and the turkey is tender, your greens are ready to serve!
- Remove from heat and serve with your favorite soul food dish! Enjoy!